Classic patisserie has so many different types of pastry that we have split this subject into two different full day sessions.
The Art of Classic Patisserie – Part 2
On this second classic patisserie masterclass we will show you how to make puff and choux pastry. Puff pastry, even though it can be time consuming, is one of the most rewarding pastries to master. The techniques of rolling and folding your pastry to create the delicate layers will be covered so that the baking process will reveal a light, fine pastry. Once mastered we will use the pastry to make mille feuilles, which are technical, but sophisticated, filled with a crème mousseline and finished classically. We will also be making our special Gateau Pithivier, traditionally made for serving on 6th January for Epiphany and is also one of Gary’s favourites.
We will then move onto choux pastry, an entirely different technique for making pastry but equally as light and airy. Mastering the art of piping you will learn how to create individual Gateaux Paris Brest. We will also be making some éclairs, making the filling and icing them in the classical way.
What will the course provide?
You will gain the knowledge and confidence required to create and bake a selection of tarts and pastry such as:
- Mille Feuille
- Gateau Pithivier
- Individual Gateau Paris Brest
The Skills Covered
- Essential classical techniques for the preparation of a selection of different puff pastry and choux pastries
- Professional tips in preparation and the baking process
- Making different gateaux and pastries to take home
- Presentation designs
- Flavouring concepts
What is included?
- Hands-on practical bakery learning
- Interactive demonstrations
- Professional tuition and qualified advice
- Full ingredients used and listed in your recipe packs
- Full use of Hunters Academy of Food training kitchen
- Relaxed, friendly atmosphere and lunch with wine
- Recipe packs to take home
- No baking experience is necessary; just enthusiasm and a willingness to work alongside other like-minded food lovers.
- Refreshments will be available throughout the day.
What to wear: You will be in a professional cookery school environment so will need to wear comfortable clothes and preferably covered, closed toe shoes. Hunters Academy of Food makes a conscious effort to reduce waste and packaging, so we encourage you to bring your own containers to transport your baked goods home where possible.
Are you looking to gift a class?
Our Gift Vouchers can be redeemed against any class at Hunters Academy of Food. You have the choice of sending your Gift Voucher immediately by email, or scheduling delivery for a later date.
Duration of the class:
9.30am – 4.30pm approx.
£210 per person. Price includes VAT
NOTE: Your course place is not secured until full payment has been received.
Wanting to learn more?
The next step could be our class on the secret of Soufflés.